Actives are now widely referred to as ingredients that do more than just protect the skin.
If you’re over 40 like me, here are five actives that are worth considering bringing into your beauty routine.
1) RETINOL is my all time favorite anti-ager. It’s unique because it communicates to cells to change gene expression.
It also creates thickness, despite misnomers of it thinning out skin.
If that isn’t enough, it increases collagen and thins the Stratum Corneum (outer layer with dead skin cell buildup) for clearer, smoother skin.
What makes this antioxidant different is that it has a progressive effect on the skin so that means the longer you use it the better results you’ll likely see.
Retinol is famous for improving texture, reducing visible signs of aging such as dark spots and wrinkles and boosting collagen performance.
Need I say more?
We recommend using our Advanced Retinol Night Cream on a regular basis if you want to level up your anti-aging routine without drying out your skin.
2) SALICYLIC ACID is a BHA that breaks down keratin (that makes up outer later of skin) and reduces breakouts because it breaks up the pore lining. This makes it ideal for relieving congestion.
What makes it different from AHAs is that it’s oil soluble so its ideal for oily and breakout prone skin, too.
This superstar player is ideal for preventing clogged pores and lessening the appearance of larger pores.
3) LACTIC ACID is one of my favorite AHA’s. It comes from fermented sugar so it’s a humectant that holds onto water while it exfoliates.
Pretty cool, huh?
What makes it different is that it has a large molecular size making it more ideal for exfoliating sensitive skin because it doesn’t penetrate as deeply.
Lactic acid is know for reducing the signs of aging, such as helping with enlarged pores and brightening the skin over time.
Using our Brighten and Reveal Exfoliating Pads a couple of times a week is a great way to benefit from both AHA's and BHA's at the same time while making sure your other active products are able to penetrate properly.
4) NIACINAMIDE is an antioxidant that’s a water soluble form of B3 that boosts ceramide levels in your skin. Ceramides are fats or lipids that are found in skin cells that make up over 30% of your outer skin layer, or epidermis.
Niacinamide also stimulates circulation and protects cells from damage.
What makes it different than other antioxidants is that it helps with breakouts, discoloration and dehydration at the same time.
This magical anti-aging ingredient helps balance the skin by boosting hydration while offering a set of unique benefits to help revitalize your skin.
We recommend including our Youth Restoring Balancing Serum into your routine if you feel like your skin needs a little extra love or balance.
5) ZINC OXIDE is a wonderful mineral that provides UVA and UVB ray protection.
What makes it different is that it’s ideal for sensitive skin types as well as acne prone skin.
Zinc is special because while it potentially hinders hyperpigmentation it also protects the skin against harmful rays.
If you want to use an all in one luxury face butter with SPF to nourish and protect your skin, try The Good Sunscreen with Zinc!
The idea isn't to use all of these ingredients at once because you can but to understand what they offer so you can determine if it's a good fit for your anti-aging goals.
Remember, the more you know the more you glow!