With fall's lovely arrival, you may start to see things change with your skin, too!
A minor misconception is that our products change, but in reality the seasons of our life often dictate how our skin acts and responds to things.
Your environment can very much work for or against your skin goals depending on the condition of your skin.
In example, if your skin is very dry but you’re in a humid environment the extra moisture in the air may serve you better. On the flip side, if you have oily skin your skin may not appreciate the extra humidity.
But we don’t all have the luxury of picking up and moving for our skin.
If your skin doesn’t ask for a change you may want to subscribe to the mentality of not fixing what’s not broken.
However, if you’re among most of us who do face these seasonal changes, such as dryness and occasional flakiness during cooler months, keep reading...
Here are five ways you can level up your skincare routine this fall:
1) Choose a more hydrating moisturizer. If you’ve been using a ‘lighter’ or gel based moisturizer this summer it may be the time to level up in that department. However, it’s important to note that just because something’s heavier doesn’t always mean it has better ingredients that will solve your dry skin needs.
Pro tip: Look for products that contain humectants AND oils this fall, like our Whipped Olive Face Butter, and as you move into winter they’ll continue to serve you well.
2) Consider adding a face oil to your routine. If you don’t already use a face oil and your skin isn’t prone to acne, a good facial oil like our Glow Oil can be a wonderfully restorative addition to improve your skin’s barrier and help you prevent water loss.
Pro tip: Most oils act as occlusive agents which means they sit more on top of your skin to help you lock in and retain moisture better so always apply oil as the last step in your skincare routine (over your moisturizer).
3) Use a hydrating eye cream. If you generally like the feeling of lighter eye creams, this may be the season to take it up a notch. Your eye area is the most delicate thin tissue on your body, and unfortunately it’s where we see the signs of aging first. So, making sure your eye area stays moist will help prevent signs of premature aging, such as wrinkles and crepey skin. We love to use our Eye Dream of Coffee (also great for dark circles and puffiness) during the day and our Restorative PM Eye Cream at night.
Pro tip: Did you know that some eye creams, like our Soothing Eye Balm, can still feel light and silky while providing deep moisturizing benefits? It's all about the formula!
4) Use gentle exfoliants. If you’ve been using deeper exfoliating treatments lately, this may be the time to ease off them and aim for something more gentle. While exfoliating, even in the winter months, is still essential to skin health the way you exfoliate matters a lot.
Pro tip! We recommend using a blend of gentle acids, like Lactic and Mandelic acid, found in our Brighten and Reveal Pads, that will keep your skin glowing year-round without peeling or flaking.
5) Incorporate a hydrating serum into your routine. While I don’t believe in (or have time for!) a 9-10 step skincare routine, I do find a lot of value in including a hydrating serum into my routine, especially during the cooler months. This is because serums are generally designed to have a better delivery system (smaller molecular size) and can provide an extra layer of support to your skin when you need it.
Pro tip: In the cooler months, layering with a hydrating serum such as Hyaluronic Acid Serum will serve you well. We love our Vitamin C + Correcting Serum, too, because it already has Hyaluronic Acid inside of it, which saves you time and money.
Bonus tip! Make sure to apply your Hyaluronic Acid on clean moist skin within 60 seconds of getting out of the shower. We recommend using your HA at night under your Retinol and your Vitamin C Serum during the day under your daytime moisturizer.
Double bonus tip! If your foundation looks a little dry on your skin, add a little face butter to it for a soft, dewy finish!
Remember, the more you know the more you glow!
Happy fall, y'all!