Applying eye makeup to aging eyes can be challenging, but there are some techniques and tips that can help you achieve a more youthful and fresh look. Here are some steps you can follow to prevent caking and creasing:
1) Prepare your skin: Start by moisturizing your eye area with a hydrating eye cream. This will help plump up any fine lines or wrinkles, and create a smooth canvas for your makeup.
2) Use a primer: A good eye primer can help prevent creasing and extend the life of your eye makeup. Apply a small amount of primer all over your lids and blend it in. Underneath you eyes, use a hydrating primer, instead.
Pro tip: You can use the same primer under your eyes that you use on your face!
3) Apply a neutral base: Start by applying a neutral eyeshadow all over your lids. This will help even out your skin tone and create a smooth base for your other eyeshadow shades.
4) Choose the right products: Opt for cream-based eyeshadows and avoid powder formulas that can settle into fine lines and wrinkles. Cream eyeshadows are easier to blend and won't dry out the skin, helping to prevent caking. If you prefer eye color powders, use a small amount over your cream shadows. This can help set your makeup and prevent creasing.
5) Use a lighter shade: Apply a lighter shade of eyeshadow to the inner corners of your eyes and along the brow bone. We love using our Matte Beige Brow Highlighter for this because it stays on all day long! This will help open up your eyes and make them appear brighter and more youthful.
6) Blend well: Blend your eyeshadow carefully to prevent any harsh lines or unevenness. Use a fluffy eye shadow brush to blend out any harsh edges.
7) Apply eyeliner: Apply a thin line of eyeliner along your upper lash line to define your eyes. You can also apply a small amount of eyeliner to the outer corners of your lower lash line to help create a lifted, youthful look. Watch our easy eyeliner pro tip here on IG that helps give you a lifted look!
8) Curl your lashes: Use an eyelash curler to curl your lashes before applying mascara. This will help lift your lashes and create a more open-eyed look.
9) Choose the right mascara: Look for a lengthening and volumizing mascara that won't clump or flake. Apply a few coats of mascara to your upper lashes only, as applying mascara to your lower lashes can accentuate any under-eye wrinkles.
Pro tip: apply a small amount waterproof eyeliner over your favorite mascara (on the tips of your lashes only) if you have problems with your makeup transferring to your eyelids.
By following these steps, you can help prevent caking and creasing and achieve a more youthful and refreshed look.
Remember, the more you know the more you glow!