Crepey skin refers to skin that has become thin, wrinkled, and loose, resembling the texture of crepe paper.
While it's a natural part of the aging process, certain factors such as sun exposure, dehydration, and loss of collagen and elastin can contribute to its development.
Although it may not be possible to completely reverse crepey skin, here are several treatments and lifestyle changes that may help improve its appearance.
- Protect your skin from the sun: Sun exposure can accelerate skin aging and contribute to crepey skin. Protect your skin by wearing sunscreen with a high SPF, seeking shade when the sun is strongest, and wearing protective clothing, such as hats and long sleeves. To read about our most commonly asked sunscreen questions, go here.
- Stay hydrated: Proper hydration is essential for healthy skin. No amount of water will be enough to plump your skin the way topicals like Hyaluronic Acid do, but drinking plenty of water throughout the day helps work synergistically with your topicals to keep your skin hydrated from within.
- Moisturize regularly: Use a rich moisturizer that contains ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and glycerin to help hydrate and plump the skin. Apply moisturizer to damp skin after showering to lock in moisture.
- Exfoliate gently: Regular exfoliation can help remove dead skin cells and improve the texture of your skin. Use a gentle exfoliating scrub or a chemical exfoliant, like our Brighten & Reveal Pads, containing ingredients like alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), BHAs or retinol. However, be cautious not to overdo it, as excessive exfoliation can irritate the skin. We recommend exfoliating 2-3 times a week when using our Peel Pads.
- Use retinoids: Retinoids, such as retinol or prescription-strength retinoids, can help stimulate collagen production and improve the appearance of crepey skin. Start with a low concentration and gradually increase as tolerated. It's important to use retinoids at night, such as our Advanced Retionol Night Cream made specifically for mature skin, and always follow the instructions provided.
- Consider topical treatments: Some topical treatments, such as peptides, growth factors, and antioxidants, may help improve the appearance of crepey skin. Look for products that contain these ingredients, like our Vitamin C + Correcting Serum, and apply them as directed.
- Consider using a facial oil: After 40, incorporating a pointed facial oil in your skincare routine becomes more essential to help you lock in the moisture and prevent TEWL (water loss). We recommend our Glow Oil created for mature, crepey skin.
- Stay active: Regular exercise can help improve blood circulation and promote healthy skin.
- Consider professional treatments: Consult with a dermatologist or aesthetician who can recommend professional treatments that may help improve crepey skin. These may include laser resurfacing, radiofrequency therapy, microneedling, or chemical peels.
- Be patient and consistent: Treating crepey skin takes time and consistency. Results may not be immediate, so stick to a regular skincare routine and be patient with the progress.
There's a reason they call it liquid gold.
My secret sauce for tackling crepey skin is to have a skincare routine that contains both humectants and nourishing oils/butters, such as cold-pressed olive oil (aka liquid gold).
If you only want one product for your eyes, face and neck, make sure it contains both, like our Whipped Olive Oil Face Butter.
For extremely dry or compromised skin, remember to follow your face butter up with our Glow Oil to help lock in the moisture.
For your body, my daily go-to recommendation is Cetaphil, which I've used for years to manage dry skin and spells of eczema. If you want a more luxurious experience to manage your dry, crepey skin, indulge in our Whipped Body Butter that naturally smells like chocolate.
Ideally, you'll want to look for water-loving ingredients at the top of the ingredient list, such as Organic Aloe Leaf Juice, Glycerin or even Water, and make sure it includes butters and oils that help lock in that moisture.
Remember, it's always a good idea to consult with a dermatologist or skincare professional for personalized advice and treatment options based on your specific needs and skin condition.
The more you know the more you glow!
ps. want a FREE e-skin consultation with ME? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll personally guide you towards a customized plan for your mature skin needs. When done, you'll receive personalized tips on how to use JQ beauty to restore your unique skin back to the healthy radiant skin you deserve!