I'm so excited to share my top 5 beauty secrets with you today!
These have seriously helped me so much over the past year, particularly, so I hope they'll be of help to you, too!
Also, I'm not an affiliate of any products mentioned, I just want to help you by sharing them!
If you'd prefer a more in-depth conversation, you can listen to the 15 minute episode on my podcast, Beauty Aside, here: My Top 5 Skincare Secrets for Women Over 40.
Here are my top five beauty secrets, in no particular order:
1) Lemon water - it helps flush out the toxins, hydrate your skin and balance your pH. Plus, it's super affordable! I started drinking one glass of water with organic lemon juice every morning before I put anything else in my body. The proof is in the pudding, or in this case the lemons. You can also drink celery juice, but I found that lemon was a more sustainable option for me. You can choose what’s best for you longterm, since consistency is key!
2) Probiotics - Gut issues are at the core of most challenges we face with our bodies and skin. They call our gut our second brain. I’m not a health practitioner but I have one (here is a link to my IHP, Larissa) and this is the supplement I use if you’re interested. I'm sure there are many good ones out there, but I have seen improvement in my skin since using this one so that's what I'm recommending!
3) Holy grail products - I'm all about tried and true, that's why I recommend a high quality Retinol and Youth serum (with Niacinamide - a derivative of b5). Retinol will help increase your cell rate turnover and is best worn at night. Products will Niacinamide can be used AM or PM but I used mine during the day. It helps with oil production and to balance your skin tone for a more youthful appearance!
4) Adaptogens - Stress is one of the worst things for our bodies and skin. Since we have a hard time avoiding it, I find that taking B vitamins and adaptogens are helpful in reducing stress. To make it fun, I love making golden milk because of the turmeric. Mine has ashwaghanda in in it too, so it's a win-win - here's the link to what I use (not an affiliate). I also like to use Adrenal Smooth - here's the link. Whatever adaptogens you choose, the benefits are endless...
5) Lifestyle - Look, I’m not a health coach, but I’ve seen how lifestyle effects clients with their skin, and I know how making changes has improved mine, so I want to address this in a few ways — first is the most basic, your diet — cutting down on dairy can tremendously improve your skin, especially if you have acne or suffer from any other inflammatory condition. Sugar is arguably the worst (I know, heartbreaking, right?!) because it breaks down collagen, and causes premature aging, so if I had to recommend cutting out ONE thing for anti-aging it’d be sugar.
I’ve found mixing monk fruit or stevia with my honey helps me cut down on the sugar without compromising taste. Sleep is another thing you have to do well. You may be rolling your eyes at this one, but not enough rest will impact your brain and your largest organ — your skin, so I have to go there. Figure out a way to sleep better and your skin will thank you.
I hope this has been helpful! Thanks for tuning in! For more video and beauty content, visit more of my blog posts!
And remember, the more you know the more you glow!