10 Secret Olive Oil Beauty Tips From Your Kitchen
Posted by Jentri Quinn on May 13th 2023
Olive oil has been used for centuries as a natural beauty care product due to its nourishing and moisturizing properties. In fact, that's why we insist on infusing so much of our skincare and body care with our own Organic Olive Oil from Italy!
It's important to note that we DO NOT recommend using olive oil alone topically as your skincare moisturizer because you need other agents to make a complete moisturizer or you may actually disrupt your skin barrier making it worse.
Here are 10 easy ways you can use olive oil from your kitchen for various beauty purposes:
- Makeup remover: Use olive oil to remove makeup gently. Apply a small amount of olive oil to a cotton pad and wipe away your makeup, including stubborn mascara and eyeliner. Rinse your face afterward.
- Lip balm: For super dry lips or to simply elevate your lip experience, apply a thin layer of olive oil over your chapstick to add moisturize and soothe dry, chapped lips.
- Hair conditioning alternative: Mix 2 tablespoons of honey with warm olive oil and massage into hair, focusing on the ends. Leave it on for several minutes -- up to 15 minutes -- and rinse thoroughly with water. Repeat once a week if desired to nourish and condition the hair, leaving it soft and shiny.
- Nail and cuticle treatment: Soak your nails in a mixture of warm water and a few drops of olive oil for 5-10 minutes to soften cuticles. Use Cuticle oil daily to maximize your benefits!
- Body scrub: Create a homemade body scrub by mixing coconut oil and a small amount of olive oil with a coarse ingredient like sugar or salt. The oils moisturize your skin while the exfoliating properties of sugar or salt remove dead skin cells, leaving your skin smooth and rejuvenated. Don't have time to make your own? We feel you. Try our luxurious Body Scrub Duo infused with EVOO from our family farm in Italy!
- Facial Massage: Apply a few drops of Olive Oil to your face before doing your daily facial massage! Just make sure to wash it off properly when done.
- Face mask: Combine olive oil with ingredients like honey, yogurt, or avocado to create a nourishing face mask. Apply the mixture to your face, leave it on for 15-20 minutes, then rinse off with warm water. This mask helps hydrate and revitalize your skin for a radiant glow!
- Oil cleansing – Oil cleansing is always your "1st cleansing step" when removing makeup. Massage a small amount onto your damp face then rinse it off with a gentle cleanser (your second cleanse) and pat dry.
- Shaving – I'm not a huge fan of using body soap in general because my skin is dry and soap can make it worse, but I do like to shave regularly. If you're like me, instead of using "soap" rub a few drops onto wet legs, then shave. This lubricates and moisturizes your skin while you shave so you experience less irritation.
- Hot oil hair mask treatment – Warm up your olive oil and comb it through damp hair. Wrap your hair up in a towel for around 15 minutes then wash out with a gentle shampoo and conditioner (optional).
Remember to do a patch test before using olive oil on your skin or hair, especially if you have sensitive skin or allergies. Olive oil is not an ideal option for those suffering with acne, but is ideal for mature, dry skin!
If your skin is dry, crepey or simply lacks the radiance it deserves, try our Whipped Olive Oil Face Butter that hydrates your dull mature skin back to life for a happy, healthy glow!
If you experience compromised skin for any reason or you simply enjoy the luxurious feeling of facial oil on your skin, you may wish to follow your moisturizer up with a trusted facial oil that contains high quality Olive Oil or Squalane (olive derived), like our Glow Oil, to help further increase hydration and retain moisture. Simply pat it over your moisturizer as the last step in your skincare routine when you're not wearing SPF.
To learn more about why Olive Oil is essential in your skincare routine after 40, especially if you have dry, crepey looking skin and why ours is different, go here.
The more you know the more you glow!